"Concept vehicles are usually design or technology studies that give car buyers a taste of the future. The Volvo SCC, however, has added impact because it was both attractive and high-tech. It is an early example of how we design our cars around our customers' wishes, needs and limitations," Volvo President Stefan Jacoby.
SCC technology in today's Volvo models (Press Release)
- Forward collision warning - today in its third generation with Pedestrian Detection, Collision Warning and Full Auto Brake. In addition, there is the ground-braking low-speed system, City Safety, which is fitted as standard to several Volvo models.
- Information projected on the windscreen - today the head-up display is part of the Collision Warning system.
- Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) - Technology that monitors vehicles in the "blind spot" and alerts the driver.
- Lane Departure Warning and Driver Alert - Warning system to alert the driver to the risk of straying from the lane. Today known as.
- Cruise control that maintains a set distance behind the vehicle in front. The present ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) operates all the way down to standstill in cars with automatic transmission.
- Flashing brake lights during hard braking - today known as Emergency Brake Lights.
- Safety cameras - today there are integrated reversing camera and grille-mounted camera offering drivers a 180-degree field of vision (accessory). A camera is also a key component in the Pedestrian Detection and Collision Warning system.
- Advanced headlights that follow the curvature of the road as the car turns - today Active Bending Lights.
- Further-developed HMI (Human Machine Interface) - now Volvo Sensus.
- Height-adjustable rear seat. Present today in the integrated two-stage child booster cushions.
- Protection for pedestrians - today this system is found as the energy-absorbing front structure and bonnet and in Pedestrian Detection.
- Steering wheel adjustable for height and reach - fitted today as standard.
- Passive unlocking and engine starting - today Keyless Go.
- Communication with the car via mobile phone - today via a newly developed Mobile Application that was introduced in spring 2011.
Lane Departure Warning and Driver Alert -
Warning system to alert the driver to the risk of straying from the lane
This device is very useful and good for safety"When we began work on the concept car at the end of the 1990s, Volvo was still primarily known for making family cars designed to protect their occupants in a collision. The SCC signaled the start of a new approach which enhanced safety for the occupants, where the car's most important safety task is to help avoid dangerous situations and accidents in the first place,"
explains Östen Strandberg, who was responsible for the development of the Volvo SCC. he add "With the drivable Safety Concept Car, we showed that all these smart, collision-preventive technological solutions were within reach. It is fair to say that the success of the SCC project triggered Volvo Car Corporation's groundbreaking dedication to active safety systems."
Forward collision warning - today in its third generation with Pedestrian Detection, Collision Warning and Full Auto Brake. In addition, there is the ground-braking low-speed system, City Safety, which is fitted as standard to several Volvo models.
Visit Volvo Cars in Makati
2272 Chino Roces Avenue, Makati City
Call John at 893-6621 to 22 or 637-0414 to 15